Our suggestions of “what to do; while you are here” at The Alpine Lodge in the Summer Season
1) Take a full day rafting trip down the mighty Hudson River. www.northcreekrafting.com. Paddle and drift through virgin forest, see The Gorge, Blue Ledges and more.. Not up for all that action? Try a float trip on the Sacandaga River over in Lake Luzerne (west of Lake George) or choose your choice of flotation (kayak, canoe, etc) and use Beaver Brook Outfitter’s shuttle service to transport you.
2) Visit The Adirondack Museum www.adkmuseum.org. It is a vast campus of 23 buildings including a truly rustic hotel, a luxurious private rail car, exhibits on logging, mining and local crafts. It is a “must see”, rain or shine, as it is located in a very picturesque location overlooking Blue Mountain Lake. While you are in the “neighborhood” Take a tour of the Great Camp Sagamore www.greatcampsagamore.org, a vintage Great Camp and National Historic Landmark built by Alfred Vanderbuilt. Gloria Vanderblt spent childhood summers here as Carole Lombard and other Hollywood stars of the era played tennis and strolled along the lakeshore. Tour scenic Raquette Lake while having lunch on the WW Durant www.raquettelakenavigation.com. Captain Pohl, offers a fascinating commentary on the history of the lake it’s Great Camps and other points of interest.
3) Take a hike up Crane Mountain– or choose another of the many peaks close by www.adirondacks.com. Crane has a spectacular view, but it also has a pond 2/3 of the way up- a fantastic destination itself. Beyond the pond is a steep climb up the summit. Treat yourself to a picnic lunch from Cafe Sarah or The Ski Bowl Deli to eat at the top!
4) Take a bike ride. There are numerous fabulous bike routes from right here- for either a mountain bike or a road bike. The Source, right around the corner, has bike rentals.
5) Hire a guide to take you for a hike or a special local fishing spot. Let us arrange a local Naturalist/Licensed guide to take you on a personalized back country hike for a once in a lifetime experience! Or learn to fly-fish with a pro in a unique picturesque water location personally planned for your level of experience and enthusiasm. See the area from the local point of view. www.adirondackmountainandstream.com, www.rustichomestead.com
6) Lake George is a most beautiful lake. The drive (or hike!) up Prospect Mountain is really nice. There are several boat tours of Lake George (varying lengths) emanating from Lake George Village. Lake George Village is pretty, but very “touristy”, Italian restaurants, t-shirt shops, miniature golf, etc; we prefer Bolton Landing (due east from The Lodge) its a picturesque town with a lot of nice shops and dining …. For shoppers, there are many outlets just south of Lake George on Route 9 south. Fireworks in Lake George Village on Thursday nights.
7) Go Golfing! There are numerous golf courses in the area that range from very “local” courses . www.croninsgolfresort.com, www.greenmansionsgolf.com, www.1000acres.com to the famed Donald Ross course at The Sagamore www.thesagamore.com
8) Just take a drive… Take the day to enjoy a scenic summer drive with a day trip to Lake Placid. www.lakeplacid.comWindow shop down Main Street, stop for lunch at any number of great luncheon spots, go to the top of the ski jumps, take the lift up Whiteface or drive up Whiteface Memorial Highway, save room for a piece of pie at The Noonmark diner in Keene Valley on the way home… or drive over to Brant Lake via Route 8 (make sure you go around the backside-Palisades Road) and drive over the mountain to Hague and back down Rt 9N to Bolton Landing. Stretch your legs and check out the nice shops or get a drink or dinner at any of the nice restaurants along Main Street in Bolton Landing- go sit at the park and enjoy the magnificent view of Lake George. Another great destination is to see for yourself what a strategic location Fort Ticonderoga www.fort-ticonderoga.org was in the French and Indian war and what a magnificent view the soldiers had from the ramparts! The scenic drive between Lake George Village and Ticonderoga is really nice too…..
9) TRAIN BUFFS! Enjoy a ride on the scenic and historic Saratoga-North Creek Railroad right down the street! North Creek Depot Museum is an interesting stop at the train station. Railroads on Parade in Pottersville is a 5000 square foot model train exhibit.
10) Stay right here! Relax with a massage and a nap– either have a licensed massage therapist come right to your room or check out the Oasis Spa (above Café Sarah, advance reservations, please!) Spend the rest of the day lounging here on your room’s back porch or the back lawn. Enjoy lunch at numerous downtown eateries, and some local shopping. Some our favorite stops include the Hudson River Trading Co. (furniture and gifts) and The Rustic Homestead (chandeliers) and Foothills Antiques & Collectibles. Take a walk right here- out the front door- its quiet and beautiful- Check out walking along the train tracks or over at the ski bowl. On the way to nearby Chestertown via Route 8 E , check out Rustic Designs Pottery on Friends Lake Road in Chestertown and two other potters very close by; Fawn Ridge Pottery on the other side of Friends Lake and Red Truck Clayworks on Route 9 just south of Chestertown. Miss Hestors above Main St Ice Cream (also in Chestertown) is a great gift shop, Clen’s Collectibles is in Riparius is another not-to-be-missed along with the Scenic Outlook Studios (sculpture and lots more!). A personal favorite of mine is the Riverside Gallery in Warrensburg.
11) Foodies! Take note: in addition to some excellent eclectic dining options in the area, check out Oscar’s Smokehouse our local smokehouse in Warrensburg with national renown and get a tour of the Goat Cheese Farm- Nettle Meadow in Thurman… The maple Sugar weekends in the spring are great too! Don’t miss the Farmer’s Market down by the train station on Thursday evenings. Every “3rd Thursday” evening there is a “Cruise In” with lots of show cars lining Main St and an Art Walk with local businesses serving refreshments.
12) Check out the activities at Gore Mountain and take a scenic gondola ride to the top to admire the view!