Our suggestions of “what to do while you are here” near The Alpine Lodge for the Spring Season
1) Take a guided white water rafting trip down the majestic Hudson River for a truly memorable Adirondack experience. Its an all-day trip with wetsuit and lunch on the river. We’ll be happy to take care of the reservations- $85/person.
2) Check out Adirondack rustic furniture, gifts, chandeliers…. Some our favorite stops include the Hudson River Trading Co. (furniture and gifts) and The Rustic Homestead (chandeliers) both in North Creek and Ralph Kylloe’s Gallery (top notch furniture) on the way to Lake Luzerne.
3) Take a day trip up to Lake Placid. www.lakeplacid.com It’s a beautiful one-hour drive north. Window shop down Main Street, stop for lunch at any number of great luncheon spots, go to the top of the ski jumps and watch the ski jumpers or ariel freestyle skiers practice or compete. Save room for a piece of pie at The Noonmark diner in Keene Valley on the way home.
4) Take a Spring Safari – let us arrange a local Naturalist/Licensed guide to take you on a personalized back country tour on snowshoes, cross-country skis, or just a hike for a once in a lifetime experience! Or learn to fly-fish with a pro in a unique picturesque water location personally planned for your level of experience and enthusiasm. See the area from the local point of view.
5) Shop till you drop! Check out the multitude of outlets at Exit 20…. Or if you prefer the more rural independent options; check out …. Hudson River Trading Co in North Creek, Rustic Designs Pottery in Chestertown and a pottery; Fawn Ridge Pottery off Potter Brook Road in Chestertown. Miss Hestors above Main St Ice Cream (also in Chestertown) is a great gift shop, Clen’s Collectibles is in Riparius is another not-to-be-missed along with the Scenic Outlook Studios (sculpture and lots more!). A personal favorite of mine is the Riverside Gallery in Warrensburg.
6) Take a walk right here – out the front door – its quiet and beautiful – you’ll be delightfully surprised to find some fresh green poking out! Check out walking along the train tracks or over at the ski bowl.
7) Horseback riding; go over hill and dale at Circle B Ranch in nearby Chestertown. Check out Main Street Ice Cream for lunch (or just ice cream!) afterwards. Don’t forget to check out the really nice gift shop upstairs.
8) Foodies/Beer Lovers! Take note: in addition to some excellent eclectic dining options in the area, check out Oscar’s Smokehouse our local smokehouse in Warrensburg with national renown and get a tour of the Goat Cheese Farm- Nettle Meadow in Thurman…Paradox Brewery on the way to Schroon Lake is an awesome experience, or make it a mini brew/wine tour and add Bolton Landing Brewing, Common Roots, Davidson Brothers, Racquette River Brewing, Adirondack Pub & Brewery, Adirondack Winery and many more to your list of destinations! Many of the breweries have live music schedules and more events, so please visit their websites for additional information!
9) Experience downtown Glens Falls or Saratoga – there are numerous small galleries; and don’t miss the very unique mix of galleries and shops at the Shirt Factory Artists and Shops at 71 Lawrence St. In downtown as well there are two museums; The Chapman Historical Museum is a local museum that is really excellent and should not be missed. The Hyde Museum has a world-class collection of European/American masters, including works by Rembrandt, Rubens & Renoir in an 18th century Florentine villa. Changing exhibits in galleries throughout the complex.
10) Go Golfing! There are numerous golf courses in the area that range from very “local” courses to the famed Donald Ross course at The Sagamore www.thesagamore.com . Its great golfing in the fall- the weather is fantastic and the foliage is magnificent! Cronin’s is a great golfing spot only 20 minutes from the Lodge. Green Mansions has a great bar and restaurant for apres-golf relaxation! Just north of us there are two great courses; Wakely and Cedar River Golf Course. – both before you get to Indian Lake.