Our suggestions of “what to do while you are here” at The Alpine Lodge for the Autumn Season
1) Take a “leaf peeping’ drive through autumns brilliant colors as you follow the Hudson River north to The Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake. The museum overlooks a most spectacular view of Blue Mountain lake and the exhibits are both outside and inside so its nice on a sunny or a rainy day…the museum is on our “not to be missed” list.
2) Take a gondola ride up Gore Mountain then hike down! Or try another of the many hikes in the area. A personal favorite is Crane Mountain- because of its spectacular view, but it also has a pond 2/3 of the way up- a fantastic destination itself. Beyond the pond is a steep climb up the summit. Treat yourself to a picnic lunch from Café Sarah or Common Roots to eat at the top!
3) Take the day to enjoy autumn’s splendor with a day trip to Lake Placid. Window shop down Main Street, stop for lunch at any number of great luncheon spots, go to the top of the ski jumps, take the lift up Whiteface or drive up Whiteface Memorial Highway, save room for a piece of pie at The Noonmark diner in Keene Valley on the way home…
4) Go see the Trains and the turntable at the Saratoga-North Creek Railway. Take a scenic excursion, check out the Depot Museum as well.
5) Go rent a mountain bike at Garnet Hill Lodge and Ski Center and check out the trails. Make sure you relax and enjoy the view at the beach afterwards and a draught at the Pub. Make a plan to come back and cross-country ski these great trails in the winter.
6) Its especially spectacular in the fall to take a full day’s rafting trip down the mighty Hudson River. North Creek Rafting is right across the street from us, but all of the area Rafting Companies do an excellent job as well. Not up for all that action? Try a tubing float trip on the Sacandaga River over in Lake Luzerne (west of Lake George) they run regularly and it’s a 1 ½ hour experience. Beaver Brook or rent a canoe and float down river to pick up the shuttle to return you to your car at the base camp.
7) Just take a drive… drive over to Brant Lake via Route 8 (make sure you go around the backside-Palisades Road) and drive over the mountain to Hague and back down Rt 9N to Bolton Landing. Stretch your legs and check out the nice shops or get a drink or dinner at any of the nice restaurants along Main Street in Bolton Landing- go sit at the park and enjoy the magnificent view of Lake George.
8) See for yourself what a strategic location Fort Ticonderoga was in the French and Indian war and what a magnificent view the soldiers had from the ramparts!
9) Go Golfing! There are numerous golf courses in the area that range from very “local” courses to the famed Donald Ross course at The Sagamore. Its great golfing in the fall- the weather is fantastic and the foliage is magnificent! Other options: Cronins, Green Mansions, 1000 Acres.
10) Get a massage and take a nap. Have a licensed massage therapist come right to your room, enjoy a massage followed by a nap. Spend the rest of the day having lunch, dinner, or libations at one of the many great options here in town. Check out our shopping here in town-Adirondack rustic furniture, housewares & gifts at Hudson River Trading Co. and a nice selection of collectibles/antiques at Foothills. Keep an eye out for the bald eagle often seen looping out over Main Street and the River!